Sunday 4 September 2011

Listening activities


Understanding oral English may be the most difficult activity for students. So, here is an interesting proposal to develop this skill "Lyrics Training" website where you will be able to fill in gaps and enjoy music and a video at the same time. 

"Lyrics Training is an easy and fun method to learn and improve your foreign languages skills like English through the music and lyrics of the songs."

 
Once you have chosen the song you want to listen to, select the "game mode" : beginner, intermediate or expert. 


Then a new window will appear with a YouTube video + incomplete lyrics. The picture below shows the song "My Heart Will Go On" from the movie Titanic ( it is so romantic!!! )


You have to fill in the blanks while you are listening to the song. You get instructions about how to use the tool and/or get hints to fill in the gaps by clicking on HELP (see picture below)
You can do the listening activity as many times as necessary. Remember: if you get a high scoring doing the beginner level, you can step to intermediate or experienced!

Activity  Go to http://www.lyricstraining.com/index.php, choose a song, do the fill in the gaps activity at the different levels, then tell us in comments : 
  • Which song you chose 
  • The reason for doing so
  • Which was the level you felt more comfortable (beginner, intermediate, expert) 
  • What  your opinion of this listening practise is 
Deadline: September 21st

I hope you like the proposal. See you soon, Nelba

4 comments:

  1. Hello
    Im like very much this activity but the songs stop at the middle and dont go on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Nelba! we couldn't see the videos suggested. it says: error en la pagina. we'd love to try again some other time since we love songs.
    I hope you can help us!!!
    Jime :)
    Ad 5C (teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have chosen “Three little birds” by Bob Marley because I like it. I have heard it before so I have done it at intermediate level.
    I enjoyed the exercise and I think it was very helpful to practice listening.
    Esteban Adultos 5A

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Comments

    First I have chosen The Beatles because I like them very much, then I choose the song “Here comes the sun”, this is a beautiful song. It’s very funny and it has a lovely melody.
    I practiced at the beginner level because I felt more comfortable. Next time I will try to practice at intermediate level.
    In my opinion, these activities help me a lot for practising the language because when we know the song, it’s easier to understand.
    Maria Eugenia Adults 5 A

    ReplyDelete